Guided Overnight Trip
Enjoy a guided tour and an overnight experience in this scenic location, Stay in the Slate Hut.
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Departure: Te Anau, Queenstown or On Site
Guided Overnight Hiking or Biking trip with 1 night in the SLATE HUT
(self-drive Or transport available from Queenstown or Te Anau)
Enjoy an overnight experience at the Slate Hut. Our experienced local guide will escort you while engaging in native plants, animals and man-made remnants of the gold mining era.
Enjoy one and a half days walking and an evening to yourselves at the Slate Hut and even soak in the outdoor bath.
The Slate Hut includes:
- Locally hand-made soap
- Basic cooking facilities
- A long drop outdoor toilet (30 meters from the hut)
- An outdoor bath (heated by clients using gas, takes 1 hour to heat)
- x1 double bed
- x1 bunk bed (top & bottom bed)
- Transport option: 1 pm - Your guide will collect you from your accommodation (Qtown/Te Anau) and take you to the start of the trail.
- Self-drive option: 2pm - Meet your guide at the Historic Southland Ski Hut, Nevis Road, Garston.
- You will be guided to the Slate Hut walking 2kms.
- A snack is provided for you during your walk.
- Guests spend the evening in the hut.
- Guests to cook their own Dinner – Dinner Barbecue Pack included.
- Guests to cook their own Breakfast – breakfast barbecue pack.
- 9am - Your guide will be back to meet you at the Slate Hut
- You will be guided along the remainder of the trail back to the Historic Southland Ski Hut. This part of the trip can be custom made for the client. Options are as follows:
- Walk the remainder of the trail (25kms or 19kms)
- Walk to the Northern Boundary past Mud Hut & Tent Site (12kms)
- 4WD from the Slate Hut taking in the surrounding area before heading back to the Ski Hut (starting point).
- Lunch is provided
- Arrival time back to the Ski Hut (starting point) or back to town accommodation will depend on which option is chosen.
- An estimated time can be provided when we know the preferred option for day 2.
What to bring
Comfortable walking boots / shoes, a warm and waterproof jacket & trousers or shorts, warm clothing including a hat & gloves, sunscreen, energy snacks, water bottle, camera, day pack and walking poles if required. Anything required for an overnight stay in the high country.
- Package available: 1 October – 31 March annually
- Minimum 2 paying adults / maximum 4 paying adults
- Trip Duration: One & a half days / 1 night
- Departs Queenstown/Te Anau - Day 1: 1pm
- Arrive Queenstown/Te Anau - Day 2: 6pm depending on chosen option
- Fully guided walk during the day
- Guests alone during the evening/night
- Baggage transported to your accommodation (if required must be pre booked)
- Return transport from Queenstown/Te Anau (if required)
- Lunch on Day 2 only
- BBQ Pack evening meal (guests to cook themselves, includes; Steak/sausages, French stick/rolls, oil/butter, pickle, coleslaw, juice, tea/coffee/milk, complimentary wine)
- Light BBQ Breakfast Pack (guests to cook themselves, includes; bacon, eggs, bread/croissants, oil/butter, tomato relish, juice, tea/coffee/milk)
- Good level of fitness required
- Gentle gradients
- Not suitable for children