Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Departure: Te Anau, Queenstown, Garston
Guided Overnight in The Slate Hut - Hiking or Biking
Enjoy an overnight experience at the Slate Hut. Our experienced local guide will escort you while engaging in native plants, animals and man-made remnants of the gold mining era.
Enjoy one and a half days walking and an evening at the Slate Hut and even soak in the outdoor bath.
The Slate Hut includes
- Linen, Pillows, Blanket, Towels and Locally hand-made soap
- Basic cooking facilities
- Long drop outdoor toilet (30 meters from the hut)
- Outdoor bath (heated by clients using gas, takes 1 hour to heat)
- 1 double bed / 1 bunk bed (top & bottom bed)
- Transport option: 1pm - Your guide will collect you from your accommodation (Qtown/Te Anau) and taken you to the start of the trail.
- Self-drive option: 2pm - Meet your guide at the Historic Southland Ski Hut, Nevis Road, Garston.
- You will be guided to the Slate Hut walking 2kms.
- A snack is provided for you during your walk.
- Guests spend the evening in the hut.
- Guests to cook their own Dinner
- Guests to cook their own Breakfast
- 9am - Your guide will be back to meet you at the Slate Hut.
- You will be guided along the remainder of the trail back to the Historic Southland Ski Hut. This part of the trip can be custom made to you.
Options are as follows for Day 2
- Walk the remainder of the trail (25kms or 19kms)
- Walk to the Northern Boundary past Mud Hut (12kms)
- 4WD from the Slate Hut taking in the surrounding area before heading back to the Ski Hut.
- Lunch is provided
What to Bring
Comfortable walking boots / shoes, a warm and waterproof jacket & trousers or shorts, warm clothing including a hat & gloves, sunscreen, energy snacks, water bottle, camera, day pack and walking poles if required. Anything required for an overnight stay in the high country.
- Package available 1 October – 31 March annually
- Minimum 2 paying adults / maximum 4
- Trip Duration One & a Half Days & 1 night
- Departs: Queenstown/Te Anau - Day 1: 1pm
- Arrive Queenstown/Te Anau - Day 2: 6pm depending on chosen option
- Fully guided walk during the day
- Guests alone during the evening
- Baggage transported to your accommodation
- Return transport from Queenstown/Te Anau (if required)
- Lunch on Day 2 only
- Gentle gradients / Not suitable for children
BBQ Pack evening meal (guests to cook themselves, includes; Steak/sausages, French stick/rolls, oil/butter, pickle, coleslaw, juice, tea/coffee/milk, complimentary wine)
Light BBQ Breakfast Pack (guests to cook themselves, includes; bacon, eggs, bread/croissants, oil/butter, tomato relish, juice, tea/coffee/milk)
Good level of fitness required
Trail conditions may vary due to extremes of weather. In the event of heavy rain or snow fall please contact us for clarification of trail condition.